From decorating and getting organized to entertaining friends and family, the holidays come with a long list of to-dos. Don’t worry – we don’t expect you tick each one of these ideas off your list but these helpful tips are bound to remind you of something you’d near forgotten! Our room-by-room guide offers 99 ways to get your home holiday-ready.
- Swap lighter throws and cushion covers for cozier winter versions in velvet, chenille, cashmere and faux fur.
- Re-pot a trio of baby evergreens into terra cotta pots and use them to decorate the mantel in a simply elegant eco vein.
- Save energy and renew the room with draft-containing and chic velvet curtains.
- Add an area rug for warm underfoot.
- Load up on votives.
- Reduce clutter on tabletops. Put away some photos to make room for glasses when guests visit.
- If your living room light isn’t on a dimmer switch, install one now.
- Buy an eco-friendly, essential-oil based room spray to quickly refresh the air just before guests arrive.
- Put up your Christmas tree. Leave it undecorated for a couple days if your kids will let you!
- Tree decorating party! (En famille or avec your buddies.)
- Run some garland along the mantel.
- Water your Christmas tree daily!
- Hang out your stockings!
- Display your holiday cards. Clip them to a ribbon clothesline along the mantel, or just stand them up on the sofa table. (You’ve already sent yours out, right?)
- Wrap gifts and put them under the tree.
- Stuff those stockings! Keep stylish photographic magazines (decorating, travel, music) on hand for guests to flip through and/or talk about.